Resurrection Press: The “kefi” or vibrance was in full force at the Resurrection Greek Orthodox Church Golf Tournament on May 8, 2017, at Castlewood Country Club in Pleasanton. Keeping with tradition, we hosted the golfers to the most welcoming, enjoyable, and gastronomically pleasing golf tournament at a bargain price. Our prizes, the Raffle, and Silent Auction were all awesome.
The Recipe for Success:
(1) Greet guests with a gracious and well-organized team at the Registration Table led by Jennifer Kontaxis, Margaret Moshopoulos Shaw, Zoe Zannis, Elli Kavros, Nancy Burr, Kathy Droogas, K.C. Econome, Barbara Fridell, Ilona Efstathiou, George Efstathiou, Jessica Wallner, and Liz Levy;
(2) Distribute awesome Golfer Gift Packages assembled by some of our dancers and dance parents;
(3) Sift in some Breakfast, in this case, Kafé with delicious Paximadia and Koulourakia, lovingly prepared by Rita Revill and her baking crew;
(4) Then, stir in and serve the most delicious Gyro Lunch in the world prepared by Maria Pirounakis, George Georgiou, Stella Pinto, Lee Petsas, and Rick Revill;
(5) Bake in the sun @ 78° and guide the golfers (and volunteers) to our renowned Baklava Sundaes, custom prepared by Marina Johannes and Marguerite Namdar;
(6) Let the golfers cool down and/or refresh themselves at the infamous Blue Aegean-Ouzo-Metaxa Bar hosted by Dave, Shirley, and Kristina Gray, with assistance by Rachel Gatanis, which surely lifted the spirit of every golfer, as well as kept things calm and festive for the Co-Chairs; and
(7) Sprinkle on top of everything else some wine tasting hosted by Crooked Vine Winery and Heritage Bank, adding flavor of the event.
This year we recruited new Golf Committee Members, Reid Conklin, Melodee Spencer, and Kim Spencer, who mixed things up, and brought some youth and new vitality to our group. The tournament featured some new contests sponsored by Dixon Golf, generating additional revenue (with no effort on our part) and positive feedback from the golfers. Our infamous Jell-O® Shots made a triumphant return at Hole #6 thanks to the Gray Family, which Ilona Efstathiou, Jessica Wallner, and Nick Wallner distributed joyfully.
George Kontaxis and Eric Shaw obtained a plethora of donated rounds of golf on our behalf, which we used as prizes for the Hole Contests, Awards, Raffle, and Silent Auction. Dave Gray, Steve Pinto, Mark Fridell, and Bob Cach patrolled the course to make sure that all was well, and Lou Evans was the man behind the lens documenting all of the excitement. Nick Vriheas challenged every golfer to a “special” contest at Hole #17, while Paris Anderson was on the lookout for a winner of the Hole-in-One Contest for the $50,000 Cash Prize.
Another big thank you goes to Sakis Kavouniaris/Spin-A-Yarn Restaurant, an anonymous donor, Georgoulla Georgiou, and George Efstathiou for their help purchasing and making the Appetizers. Mary Ann Sanford, Marina Johannes, and Rita Revill, along with help from some Grecian elves treated everyone to the delicacy and awesomeness of their combined baking skills by lovingly preparing the desserts for the dinner banquet.
Elizabeth Levy, Vickie Constantinides, and George Efstathiou warmly greeted all of the dinner guests. Karen Ries, Gary Wallner, Melodee Spencer, Mary Ann Sanford, Liz Levy, George Efstathiou, Zoe Zannis, Kathy Droogas, and Margaret Moshopoulos Shaw worked hard to organize and display the plethora of items for the Silent Auction. Gary Wallner, Nick Wallner, and George Efstathiou had fun collecting the proceeds (over $11M) from the Silent Auction. This year we sold all four Estate Planning/Trust Packages donated by the Law Offices of K. J. Petsas, P.C. at the banquet. We are extremely grateful for the A’s Tickets, Giants Tickets, and 49er Tickets donated each year by Justin Bosl, along with the A’s Tickets and golf gifts donated by Heritage Bank of Commerce. Other corporate sponsors not previously mentioned include Opa Restaurant, Kokkari Restaurant, and Yanni Varelas/Yanni’s Grill Café. Eric Shaw assembled an assortment of dental giveaways for the golf gift bag, and Reid Conklin scored with a sweat guard for the golfer’s to affix to their caps or hats. Lastly, a big thank you to our anonymous beverage sponsor for the generous donation of adult and other drinks on the course.
Rising to the occasion to support the event and be a golfer for the day was our very own Reverend Father Niko. Karen Ries was the glue behind the golf tournament, ensuring that we cover every detail, and that no task falls behind schedule. We truly appreciate Karen’s professionalism and dedication, and the tournament would be impossible to lead without her hard work and many dedicated hours!
The support from our many parishioners and friends who volunteered their time and talents to make the tournament a success was overwhelming and much appreciated by the Phillips Family and Golf Committee. Thank you once again to everyone who participated in making the 10th Annual Resurrection Greek Orthodox Church Golf Tournament in Loving Memory of Alex P. Phillips a memorable and successful event.
We look forward to seeing you again next year for more fun in the sun on the links!
Speaking of links, be sure to click on the following link to view pictures from the 2017 Golf Tournament: